May 24th, 2021 Meeting

In the absence of President Dennis Pratt, Vice President Ken Lundberg called the meeting to order at 6:02 PM at Round-Up North in Brule.

Officers and Directors: Present – Ed Chaplinski, Paul Helbach, Glen Hill, Courtney Johnson, Mick Killoren, Ken Lundberg, Mike Sierszen, Den Smet, Jeff Stollenwerk, Walt Swanson, Jim Waletzko, Dean Wellman, Mike Zicus and Ken Zivic.

Minutes of the April Meeting: The minutes, as written in the May newsletter, were approved following a motion by Dean Wellman and a second by Jim Waletzko and unanimous approval by voice vote.

Treasurer’s and Financial Secretary’s Reports: Financial Secretary Dean Wellman reported that there were deposits for a total of $1,380.73 since the last meeting into the general fund and the Club had 3 renewals.  The Financial Secretary’s Report was approved following a motion by Walt Swanson and a second by Courtney Johnson.  Treasurer Jeff Stollenwerk reported that May’s beginning balance was $23,878.14, and the ending balance was $24,894.37 with the following expenses: Pro Print (Club Envelopes) ($27.50); Joe Scaccia Round Up North (Cleanup Day) ($137.00); Transfer to Scholarship Savings ($200.00).  The Treasurer’s Report was approved following a motion by Courtney Johnson and a second by Mike Zicus and unanimous approval by voice vote.

Committee Reports

Habitat: Dennis Pratt suggests that we return to the Brule headwaters this summer to do needed maintenance work on the spawning sites on the East and West Forks of the Brule.  In addition, possibly, Beaupre’s west tributary brushing if time permits.  East Fork – recut alder to assist spruce growth and add spawning gravels already stored on site.  West Fork – block the side channel that is diverting water around the lower two spawning habitat areas at Highway P.  Beaupre’s West Fork – remove alder/willow growth at two locations between old beaver pond footprints and suppress willow/grasses growth around the young evergreens now beginning to grow in the old beaver pond footprints.  The dates of July 24th, July 31st and August 7th were suggested, and were approved unanimously by voice vote following a motion by Ken Zivic and a second by Jim Waletzko.  Pratt also made a motion to spend up to $500 for equipment/supplies needed to accomplish these tasks.  A second by Walt Swanson was followed with unanimous approval by voice vote.  On Friday, Pratt contacted Paul Piszczek to obtain permission to proceed with this plan.

Legislative: Ken Lundberg – The Wisconsin Natural Resources Board president has refused to step down. Ken suggested emailing Laurie Ross, Board Liaison, at Laurie.Ross@wisconsin.gov to voice our opinions.

Scholarships: Mike Sierszen – This year there were 19 applicants for the college scholarship. Many were very good candidates according to Den Smet.  The committee recommended Ben Schleppenbach as the recipient.  This was approved by unanimous by voice vote following a motion by Mike Sierszen and a second by Dean Wellman.  A suggestion was made to invite last year’s recipient, Dakota Stankowski, to a future Club meeting.  High School Scholarship – Courtney Johnson will be checking will the High School to see who was awarded the scholarship.  A suggestion was made to invite last year’s recipient, Andrew Nelson, to a Club meeting this summer as well.  Den Smet wants to know the total the Club has given over the years, Mike Zicus pointed out that this was done a few years back in a newsletter article.  There was a suggestion that this be updated.

Education: Den Smet – nothing to report.

Membership: Dennis Pratt – Dennis will send a notice this week to all who have not paid their membership dues yet this year.  We presently have 398 on the membership list of which 211 have not paid this year’s membership dues.  115 of these have not paid dues for 2 years or more.  Pratt makes a motion to remove from the roles any who had not paid their dues for two years or more by July 1st after being sent the reminder email, a second by Dean Wellman was followed with unanimous approval by voice vote.

Budget: Nothing new until budget committee meets in March.

Social Media: Mike Zicus/Dennis Pratt – Website: Nothing new to report, please bring ideas to Mike.  Ken Lundberg suggested that we call attention to our website Lost and Found in the parking lot kiosks.  Ken will work on getting something including the Lost and Found link posted in the kiosks.  Newsletter: The May newsletter is coming out late this month mainly due to a late submission of articles by Pratt to Katie just before she went out of town. 

Other Business

DNR Landing Host Project – Bob Banks, President of Brule Preservation Inc.  They are funding a limited term employee to be on the landing sites for education purposes.  They host will do no enforcement whatsoever.  Promoting respect for landowners and others using the river will be the goal.  This position will run from June 16th to Labor Day, and the DNR has begun advertising this position.  Bob will continue working with the DNR to see this through.  He may come back to give us an update at a later meeting.  A motion was made by Ken Lundberg to donate $500 to this cause with a second by Den Smet was unanimously approval by voice vote.

Spring Clean-up Project Wrap-up – Den Smet said that 3 inches of snow hindered the Cleanup Day; however, he still reported 25 people participated and gathered for lunch afterwards.  Additional work was done the following Sunday to complete the effort.  Boy Scouts did their Cleanup Weekend the week before.

South Shore Grade Update – Paul Piszczek reported the following to Dennis by email on May 14th.  “The latest on the railroad grade removal is that I received a signed land use agreement from the railroad in mid-April.  DNR now has consent from all landowners to do the project. I also received permission from Douglas County to use the gravel pit to the north as the disposal site.  We are now consulting with Douglas County and other DNR programs about a floodplain zoning permit, which specifically requires a hydraulics and hydrologic analysis to show how the mapped floodplains will change after the grade is removed and new channel is constructed. The County may be able to do this for us, though I will likely investigate hiring a consultant.  We are also consulting with the Town of Brule regarding the use of Bellwood Pit Road during the project. The heavy and routine truckloads between the project site and the disposal site is expected to damage the road to some extent and would thus require maintenance during the project. This requires some additional planning. We are considering the potential to excavate and transport the grade material during the winter months to minimize impacts to the road.  I will know more about the construction schedule once I have a better handle on permitting and road use.  These are in the works over the next couple of months.  All funds are still in place for the project, though some additional funding may come from the Great Lakes Fishery Commission in 2022, if needed.”

Private Property Awareness Issue – At our April board meeting, board members requested that we discuss this issue in detail at this month’s meeting.  This was deferred to next month.

Fly of the Month – Dean Wellman – Foam Simulator.

Update Club Charter –This was deferred to next month.

Line Collection Test Project – A motion made and approved last month to provide Phil Brown up to $100 for materials for this test project.  Phil is planning to attend a meeting to explain the projects details (of course workload dependent).  This was deferred to next month.

2021 Raffle – Jeff has obtained the raffle license.  Dean will meet with Dave Norling this week to accept the bamboo rod.  Damian Wilmot’s framed print donation is also now available.  Discussion around all the requirements of doing this followed.

The business meeting adjourned at 7:17 PM.

 

Recorded by Walt Swanson